Wondering how to use chia seeds? Chia seeds are very easy to incorporate into your diet. Below is a list of ways I have used them in my recipes. I would love to hear of your unique ways of using chia seeds.
1. Soak 1 level tablespoon of chia seeds with a quarter cup of water to make an egg substitute for baking cakes and cookies.
2. Add chia seeds to apple juice to make “sago”.
cauliflower chia soup
3. Grind seeds and add to hot milk to make a “porridge”
4. Mix seeds through yogurt.
5. Add seeds to soup to thicken and add nutrition.
6. Grind seeds and mix with flour, milk and eggs to make pancakes.
7. Add seeds to salad dressings.
8. Eat Chia seeds whole and raw as a snack.
9. Add whole seeds to diluted fruit juice to make Chia Fresca.
chia omelet with mushrooms
10. Make Chia Pudding by adding whole seeds to milk, nut milk or soy milk.
12. Make a “lassie” by blending chia seeds, yogurt and fruit juice.
13. Add chia seeds to beaten eggs, soak for 10 minutes and make anomelette.
14. Mix with worcestershire or bbq sauce and brush over barbequed meats.
15. Add ground chia seeds to flour when making bread.
16. Make chia pan bread by combining chia seeds, eggs, milk, flour and baking powder. Cook in
chia pan bread and topping
a heavy based pan with a lid on.
17. Add whole chia seeds to a cake batter to make a heavy poppy seed like cake.
18. Add seeds to stews to thicken.
19. Throw some seeds into a stir fry.
20. Make a thin batter of ground chia seeds and milk and cook in a slow oven to make crackers.
Our complete recipe index is HERE.
21. Sprinkle seeds over a salad.
22. Pureed fruit, chia seeds and a little fruit juice is a good topping for ice cream.
23. Stir whole seeds through cooked lentils.
24. Soak seeds in beaten eggs and use this mix to make a frittata.
25. Cook brown rice in vegetable stock and stir chia seeds through when rice is cooked.
26. Top a cheesecake with chia seeds soaked in fruit juice to make a gel toppingl.
27. Add whole or ground seeds to cookie mixes.
28. Mix ground seeds with ground beef to make meatballs.
29. Cook brown rice in apple juice, add grated apple and stir whole chia seeds through the mixture for a tasty dessert.
30. Toasted ground chia seeds mixed with honey and cinnamon makes a wonderful base for cheesecake.
31. Add whole seeds to granola.
32. Mix white chia seeds that have been soaked in milk through mashed potatoes.
33. Sprout the seeds and use in salads.
34. Mix ground seeds with butter or peanut butter for a nutritious spread.
35. Cinnamon, ground chia and butter is great on hot scones.
36. Add a desert spoon of black seeds to a green jelly mix for “frogs egg jelly”.
37. Spread a mixture of honey, cinnamon, dried fruit and ground chia on to filo or puff pastry sheets, roll up and cook in a hot oven.
38. Mix the seeds, whole or ground through Nutella.
39. Add ground seeds soaked in an egg to bind a hamburger mix.
40. Soak chia seeds in milk and mix through hot oatmeal.
The more I use chia seeds, the more ways I find to add them to my diet.
Here are even more ways to use chia seeds
41. Add half black and half white chia seeds to custard to make “polka dot custard” – great for kids
42. Make a pasta sauce by blending chia seeds, cooked cauliflower and vegetable stock
43. Don’t waste left over liquid from a stew. Add chia seeds, allow to thicken, then heat and serve with toast, over rice, pasta or over a delicious plate of vegetables.
44. Add ground or whole chia seeds to your favorite stuffing mixture
45. Whisk 2 teaspoons of chia seeds into coconut water. This is especially good on a hot day for keeping hydrated and an excellent idea for athletes. It’s so effective and healthy I feel it will soon be marketed as a sports drink.
46. Want a crunchy breakfast? Add half to one tablespoon of chia seeds to crunchy toasted muesli. Add milk, fruit juice, soy or nut milk and eat immediately. The chia seeds will retain their crunch.
47. Add ground chia seeds to your favorite fish cake recipe
48.When baking cakes or cookies, substitute one quarter to one half of your regular flour with milled chia seeds. Milled chia seeds are now more readily available and it saves you from grinding the whole seeds.
49. When eating tinned tuna in spring water, don’t drain it. Put the entire can of tuna and spring water in a bowl and add chia seeds. Let it stand for a while so the seeds soak up the water and use in sandwiches. Add about 1 tablespoon of chia seeds for the largest size can, less for smaller cans – very filling and more nutritious than just tuna.